Saturday, May 05, 2012

Let's Dance! A Poem for my Daughter


My daughter Solara is just two years old;
She is one of my BEST friends, truth be told.

I don't really know why;


But I like to think it's because...
We're cut from the same mold;
Or maybe, perhaps, same piece of pie.

While I'm working at my desk she comes over to me;

Tapping my arm, as if to say, look at me! Look at me!
In her sweet little voice she says, "Daddy, let's dance!"
And my heart melts into mush as my feelings begin to gush


What good father could pass up such a chance;
When his baby girl asks him to dance?

Certainly not I.
No, certainly not.

So I drop what I'm doing;

I drop it like it's hot;
To spend one extra minute of one extra day;
To see her little face light up; 
As she shouts out, "Hooray!" 


What good father could pass up such a chance;
When his baby girl asks him to dance?

Certainly not I.
No, certainly not.

I turn on the music and take her little hands in mine;
And we dance! We twirl! We dip! And we swing! 
And if the moment is right;
Sometimes, we even sing.

Dancing, singing, swinging, she leaps up into my arms;
She wants to hold my hands like the adult dancers do it;
So I take her sweet little hands in mine; 
Her smile so warm;
And we twirl, we dip, and we laugh.
Oh, how we love to laugh! 

What father could pass up such a chance, to hold his precious daughter tight and dance, dance, dance, dance?


Certainly not I.
No, certainly not.

She is so wonderful! 
My dynamic, dancing, daughter;
Solara!

No comments: