Monday, December 14, 2009

Angel Eater



So my students are writing about their "future dreams" of what they want to become when they grow up. Girls tend to want to become flight attendants, teachers, nurses, and pastry chefs. Boys want to become pilots, firemen, salary men, and teachers. These answers are standard, often unoriginal on purpose (as they're all trying to fit in), but in the land of the homogeneous every once in a while you get a Koji.


Koji wrote about how he wanted to become a god. Why? Because Koji wants to rule the world. Sounds well enough, but how does one become a god I asked? Koji informed, "You must first find God, and ask him to make you a god, and then you become a god."


Ah, sounds easy enough, I replied. Koji nodded in the affirmative. "It's that easy," he said.


Then I asked, "What do you do when you become a god?"


"Well," Koji said with a contemplative grin, "I will eat angels."


"Eat angels? What? Why?!"


"Because!" Koji said confidently, "That's the type of god I will become."


I asked if there was anything else he would do other than conquer the world and eat angels, and he simply said, "Nope. That will keep me pretty busy."


A few minutes later the JTE (Homeroom teacher) came up to me and asked if Koji's essay was acceptable for the open class tomorrow. I said yeah, it was fine. A little strange, but every class needs a Koji once in a while, a unique personality type, with an over active imagination, and a class clown to boot. But this is the type of originality and unique independent  spirit which is so rare in Japan. I sometimes find myself wishing their were more angel eaters like Koji.

2 comments:

mac said...

Koji is a mold breaker !

It's fortunate for him you appreciate his spirit and didn't try to "help" him fit in.

The world needs more Kojis :-)

Tristan D. Vick said...

Word!