Sunday, September 28, 2008

Sports Festival 2008, Fall is Approaching, and other news


And they're off! Another Undo-kai (sports festival) is successful! Actually, this would be the first successful one in three years. The past two years involved getting rained out, broken bones, and heat stroke. This year there were only two minor injuries, muscles pulls, and well... more heat stroke. I also got sun burned.

Sports festivals are great because it gets the students back into shape immediately after a month long summer break. Many of the students fatten up over winter and then play video games all summer, so this athletic event gets them back into tip top condition. It's quite noticeable in the girls who she a lot of their chubbiness and become slender young women. My third year junior high school students, which are the equivalent of Freshmen in high school according to American school year and age, have begun to sprout up and turn into young adults. Having an athletic event like this really tones their muscle structure and changes many of their childhood bodies into young adult ones. Since it's a mandatory school festival all students are affected by it and the change is noticeable across the board.


Last year you might remember that I participated in the dance competition and exhausted myself thoroughly. This year, since we had more students, the slots were all taken and I was free to be a spectator. I opted to film the events and roam around as the official camera man, chat with my students, and enjoy the fun. Although, I probably could have used the good physical conditioning, I didn't mind being leisurely this time around.


This years sports festival came and went and fall is upon us. The weather is rapidly cooling down and I'm still happily married. How about that? It was wonderful since it didn't rain us out this year, although I got pretty sun burnt. My student became extremely excited by the fact that I turned a bright pink whereas they typically darken into a proper island native. There was never a moment they neglected to inform me of my intense color palette and also were curious as to how painful it was. Luckily I slathered on SPF 50 at least six times and wore a towel around my head for half of the day, so only my neck got really burnt. But all in all I made it out without any itching or rash. It took me about a week to darken, but then my students were even more excited by the fact that I was two-tone.

No comments: