Sunday, September 28, 2008

My first iPod


(I apologize for the blurry low quality. My wife took my digital camera to Korea with her this weekend to shoot a friend's wedding and I was left with only my cellphone camera, but I suppose it's better than nothing.)

I picked up one of the new 8 Gig Nano iPods this weekend. I am loving it so far. I sort of wish I'd have splurged for a 16 Gig but they were all on back order for about a month, whereas the eight gigabyte models were in abundance. However, now I'm entirely tempted to buy a Generation 2 iPod touch. Maybe as a Christmas present perhaps?


What is impressive about this new nano though is that it does video, also has the genius feature which is pretty handy for mixing up your tunes and picking songs which go well together. As far as I can tell "genius" works within the genre of the music type, or else according to date, and mixes songs together and creates a playlist which acts sort of like a top 20 radio hits chart. It works nicely but is still not a full substitute for your self created playlists. However, after a few updates Genius may be the must own feature to have. Also, the nano comes with that whole gyro thing, and there are some interesting rotation and tilt games available for it, as well as the new iPod Touch.


The nano screen is perhaps too small for watching videos properly, but I loaded some sexy Ayumi Hamasaki and Koda Kumi and Madonna music videos onto it and I must say the bright vivid screen is as crystical clear and high def as anything I've seen--it's just small. But I'm not complaining because I didn't buy the iPod nano for watching videos on, it's just a perk that it can do it.

Also I had to go with the blue. The purple was so tempting, but due to it being sold out everywhere I ended up going with my initial instinct and got the blue. The blue shines so nicely and the metal casing is entirely sturdy. I'm really impressed with this device so far.


The one downside is not the nano's fault but iTunes, which took over 24 hours to convert my music library into Apple's music format. Since I have not previously owned an iPod and had no reason to download iTunes until now, my entire library needed to be converted, and even just one song is surprisingly--even exceedingly slow to transfer. I know my supercomputer isn't at fault, since it has more than enough oomph to do the job, so all I can figure is that iTunes itself is slow as hell. But I left my PC on overnight and a whole day later I had songs ready to transfer over. I've also spent about $50 just buying music videos at the iTunes store to put onto my nano to show off to my students this week.

In the end I'm highly satisfied and very pleased with my new toy gizmo. If I do end up getting a new iPod Touch later this year you'll be the first to hear about it here.

1 comment:

David Miller said...

I still don't have one, yet, I suppose I will have to get one soon. Nice pics that show the thinness.