Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Let's Study "EngRish"!


Adore Pleasure

I was just an innocent shopper in my local clothing store when all of a sudden I notticed that somothing was terribly wrong with the English.


There was defentitely somothing about the person who wrote this.

At first I couldn't put my finger on it, but I definately had a strange feeling, as if somothing wasn't quite right.


Makes perfect sense to me! Wait, what?

Okay, so I couldn't resist embarassing my poor fiance who was sure that we were going to get kicked out of the store because I wouldn't stop taking photos. But I think as a native speaker of English I have the right to document the various usages of my own language so that I can post the entertaining derivations on my blog!
And in case you didn't get it the first time the last shirt is some kind of amazing poetry or somothing. It says:


Blowing Away the Cobwebs
I feel Comfortable with my Heart
Exhilarated I've had Elbowroom
In my Mind
Feeling an Air of Perfect Heart Composer
Wonderful Feeling
Still on its way

So now we all know. Although I'll have to wonder why HEART is emphasized so much on the t-shirt design. Not only did they super size and bold it, but they gave it color and sparkles too! Yet that's the fun of 'Engrish', you can never be too sure whether it is a secret code for future linquists to crack, beautiful poetry, or if a genius chimp typed it up on a typewriter.

Yet the moral of the story is, no matter what the real phenomenon behind the occurance of 'Engrish' is... whether it is magic or whatever, it is definately somothing fun!!!

(By the way, I meant to say: something. But it is a good rule of thumb to use 'Engrish' all the time if you want to get good at it. I know I do!)

2 comments:

Abed. Hamdan said...

LOOOL

This is so common here in Arab world, we import cloths from Thailand, india, indoesia, and China. They don't give a damn because nobody read :)

Tristan Vick said...

Yeah, it's common in many countries.

But what's really strange here is many Japanese do read or know English, but the make it BAD on purpose!

Why? The corporate excuse is, "Because it sounds cool."

The Japanese love crazy English!