Monday, August 28, 2006

Random Japan is Fun Japan!


A river runs through it.

This is the river which goes through my town. If you notice the mountain in the background, those of you with keen eyes will pick out a building. It's a Japanese Temple, but I have yet to figure out how to get there. I test drove the car I'm buying today, and I finalized the paper work, so next week I should have a greater mobility to investigate further. As soon as I can make it to the mountain top temple, I will post those pictures as well.

Onto other things.


Why yes it is!

In fact the Japanese love English so much they gave me a highly overpaid job! I'm lucky, but I have a big job ahead of me. As an English teacher it's my duty to make sure the Japanese have a good grasp on English. If not a good grasp, at least better than the guy who invented this logo...


For example, this English is very fun, if not entirely funny.

Don't laugh. This isn't funny. As an English teacher I take bad English very serious. Just kidding, this is so hillarious! I laughed a lot, and I couldn't help but share it with you. When Native English speakers tell you about the infamous Japanese "Engrish" this is exactly what we mean.

Oddly enough, Dr. Assy is a big brand name here just like Dr. Sholes foot incerts back home, and Dr. Assy has cornered the market in Japan and his big 'ASSY' is plastered across Japan in shoe stores everywhere.


U.S. Cola? Not as good as Virgin Cola, but maybe that's because it's made in Japan? I dunno.

Speaking of 'Engrish' there are other strange usages of English in Japan which I haven't quite figured out yet, other than the fact the to the Japanese English -any English- sounds kakkoii ~COOL~!

Even though the U.S. Cola is very American looking this patriotic drink happens to be entirely 100% made in Japan. But we all drink it not because it's good cola, but because it has the name of the best damn country in the world on it's can! Yeah, right? Who knows, next we'll probably be drinking Bangkok Cola, or Russian Fizzy Surprise?!


Ah, so this is where the 40 and 50 year old Japanese adults hang out at 2pm in the afternoon. The manga (comic book) aisle!

I guess they are all testing out their Mr. Assy foot incerts. I mean, you would need that extra padding to stand around and read comics all afternoon. But if the adults are all reading comics, where are the kids?


Karate kid. This 18 year old High school girl kicked and punched through two inch thick wood as if it were paper! The boards snapped like two week stale bread sticks.


Two breaks in less than 2 seconds! Kick punch combo and she's fast!

Yes, she is the REAL Karate kid. And she was real cute too! However, she was a little intimidating as she kicked and punched through wood boards and what not. It makes a guy think twice about flirting with a pretty girl when you don't know your odds. 50/50 most likely... either you get a a friendly conversation and meet an interesting girl or she gets offended by your advance and snaps your neck and leaves you for the vultures. Either way, it was an impressive Karate demonstration.


Totoro!

Like my drawing? I drew it myself.


Welcome to English! Be afraid!

Sheesh! You leave the room for eight seconds and the other JETs go wild. Actually, I caught the girl red handed as she -according to her artistic comments, "Improved" my art. Anyway, I thought she had a morbid and strange sense of humor. I worry about her kids. What kind of English will they be learning?!

Yes, folks, that's why we're here -to warp the young minds of future generations of Japanese! Ganbatte fellow JETs! (Ganbatte means 'good luck' in Japanese)

Speaking of which...


Ganbatte SNAIL!!!

This little guy looks like he could use a little good luck himself. I really don't know what he was trying to accomplish by trying to cross the busiest street in town, but one can never really tell what a snail is thinking anyay. But he definately had places to go and people to see!


I hate you BUG.

Maybe the little snail, which was the size of my giant Willy Wonka Jaw Braker candy, was on his way to see his noisy friend the Semi (Cicada in English). Although Semi are a sign of summer, and the crazy Japanese can't get enough of them, I find their screaming buzz a little too much on the side of noise polution.


After all, a large grove of these things will produce more noice than a Jet engine. If they're noisier than a Jet engine just think about being surrounded by an entire forest of these noisy insects. Rather, Semi really put the 'bug' into, "You bug me." The sad part is I'm actually starting to get used to them. They are just one of the many 'sounds' of Japan.


Not only that, they like the warmth of the city and come to visit. Every time you get close their high pitch buzz whines to a deafening siren like whale and although this guy was screaming like a banshi I was able to get close enough to snap a quick photo with my phone. Although I was a little timid about getting too close, after all this bug is the same size as my cell phone. Once I had one fly into me crashing into my head, and it hurt! It felt like a basesball smacking me in the face. Stupid Semi!

4 comments:

Abed. Hamdan said...

LOL

so It's that dangerous to flirt with a Japanese girl ??

hmm, I always wanted to visit Japan, now I'll have to think twice :/

Very interesting to teach in Japan! You're lucky, and you'll learn alot :)

Tristan Vick said...

Abed-

Thanks for your comments. Actually I did go talk to the Karate girl, but she was busy prepping for another demonstration. She seemed very busy.

What really amazes me is how 'serious' the Japanese take martial arts. To them its more than just a sport... it is a way of life.

It's always impressive to see people who have a passion for something use all that energy for something constructive and peaceful. The beauty of the "katas" or 'positions' and how they hold each stance, their movements, and focus is all graceful and challenging. It was really amazing to watch!

neverland said...

US COLA? Dr. Assy?
wow :D

Abed. Hamdan said...

Yep, sure It's. I have a fantasy of becoming one of these martial arts player, but I never had the time to do so.

Anyway,
answer this tag please :

http://abedhamdan.blogspot.com/2006/09/tag-translated.html

:)