Thursday, March 16, 2006

Rushdie & Me


Salman Rushdie & Me

In 2004 I was chosen as part of a Master's Class of 20 elite students to join Mr. Rushdie and have a round table discussion with the writer, artist, humanitarian. Needless to say we were all impressed with his intellect. All of us were required to have read at least two full works by Rushdie, and the selection process was by recommendation only. Luckily, two English professors new that Rushdie was one of my all time favorite authors, and I was one of the lucky chosen ones to meet and talk with Rushdie.


Professor Sexson (left) with Rushdie

Of course, being an English Lit. Major and a writer meeting one of the worlds most prolific living legends was like meeting a rock star! Rushdie for an English scholar is like an Idol that far surpasses any other, and talking to him was very imformative. Of course, when I was able to get him one on one later, after the formal discussion was over, I talked with him about Japanese Anime and another master story teller Hayao Miyazaki. I mean, why wouldn't I? I'm that crazy English major who studies Japanese? Yeah, and just so all of you know, Mr. Rushdie has seen and admires Miyazaki's "Spirited Away."

No comments: