Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Engrish baby! Yeah!

Yeah baby!


One of the funnier aspects of visiting Japan is all of the funny English you see, otherwise known as "Engrish." To first time visitors who have not developed an ear for the rolled Japanese "l" "r" sound, which is interchangeble, the irony of the term being correct but not quite right parallels the often missuse of English which you will see plastered on numerous Japanese advertisements and signs.

On one of my daily bike rides I past this beauty salon and couldn't help but hold back my juvenile giggles. Needless to say this sign is just one of many "kinky" or "sex" related signs that exist in public without the publics knowledge of what the real "Engrish" means. To the Japanese, it's just another word which sounds cool. And if you think that they butcher our language, then you aparently haven't seen the movie "Kill Bill." If that wasn't the most painful Japanese to listen to, I don't know what is. To top it off, my Grandpa always uses speaks Japanese via his WWII days... when they had no desire to respect the people or the language. You get weird words like, "Oak-in-naaaa-waaaa" and "Itchy Row" of the Seattle Mariners instead of Okinawa and Ichi Ro.

I guess in the end we can get a chuckle out of it and at least, unlike in the states, the Japanese have a genuine interest in learning our language. I only wish the same could be said for us.

1 comment:

Tristan Vick said...

Hehehehe, the sign makes me giggle.