Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Wet-Land Agriculture and country scenery


Wet-land rice agriculture

As I road out towards the country I started seeing the little rice stalks pop up. When these things polinate I about die of the worst hay-feaver imagineable. They're about the only thing on the planet that I'm allergic too. Anyway, as you can see, Japanese rice patty wet-land farming looks entirely different from the dry irrigation farming of the American mid-west wheat fields back in Montana.
Granted the golden wheat fields of Montana are equally beatiful, especially after a light smackling of snow when you get the most amazing gold and blue/purple tints on white combinations. Here in Japan, everything remains wet green and alive the full year round.


My bike and the size of a country road.

I parked my bike and snapped a quick shot of it along the country road to show you exactly how narrow the roads get. Last year a school bus driver from KGU tried to take a short cut down one of these things and he flipped the bus (same size as an American yellow school bus) upside down into the wet rice fields. Luckily there were only scraped knees and bruised bodies, but still scary to think about. If my bike is barily the width of one of these roads, I wonder how wide the driver thought his bus was?



Nice scenery

I just enjoyed this landscape of Japan. Rice fields, beautiful sky, mountains in the background, an electrical tower of some kind.


Evening layers of Japan

Here is a wider shot. Notice the mountain range and the clouds. I like how everything blends together in the humid air, as the clouds seem to be carrying on the same patterning of the mountains, and the shades of color fade from the greens to the blues and into the whites of the sky. The pink tint of the beginning of sunset was just the frosting on the cake for this image.

This layered effect is something tradition Japanese art captures well. Next time you see Chinese or Japanese post card at your nearest Halmark store, make sure to note the many layers which depict the misty elements of such humid countries. Personally I thought this shot was too gorgeous to pass up, and looks so much more beautiful in person!

No comments: