Monday, December 13, 2004

WAR: What is it Good For?

"And there was WAR in Heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his hordes (angels) prevailed not..."
Revelations, 12:7


Mandy stated on her website:

"I'm going to comment on Tristan's website because it completely changed my point of view on a number of things. So...here goes. I appreciate what he said about the war on terror. Up until recently, I have had a negative perspective on the issue. Now, due to the insight of one of my colleagues, my own personal opinion that was craving for support has been enlightened. I've never thought about the war in a Biblical sense. I do read the Bible a lot and it never occurred to me that the angels, who were sent from God, created war to spread peace. It made me think that yes, we are doing the right thing in Iraq. Our business is their business because peace and harmony and the love of God should be granted to all people. The only way that we can achieve peace is to show we care about our freedom as a nation and people of this world. "Power" and "Greed" are roots of evil and I feel that if we can be an independent nation, it's important to show other countries the same. We can't sit back and let the evil things of this world corrupt us. We need to do something about it. This ties into what Nancy's paper topic was about. We need to take action and stop standing around. If no one shows what's right, the entire world will end up fighting against one another for one thing-Power. We aren't in Iraq to show that we are powerful, but we are there for human kind and to erase the evil corruption that has taken place and will expand if we don't do something about it."
http://www.beabigblog.blogspot.com/

Now I thought this was a powerful statement by not only a fellow student, but a fellow person. Mandy's comment is very flattering, and I'm glad she gained something from my viewpoints and writings. Just to note: I'm not trying to force anyone's individual views; I'm just sharing my own, and questioning those who I think are completely ignorant (and misguided) on some of the subjects I address. Sometimes I just like to argue, or disagree, but I'm not trying to force anyone's views. People say war is not ethical, that it is immoral. I stated to one other classmate that I believe war was an inevitable trait of humanities destructive desire for power and the gratification of dominance. Part natural instinct and fully made of sin, men of Earth are often corrupt or wicked. This is why I think "talking" about peace will never fully be achievable. I believe that we need to turn to a higher power to guide us in our times of need. Whether it is God, the most stable and powerful countries on the face of the earth or just our own heroes like my Grandfather.


Francoise replied to my comments as such,

"I believe that war is the final solution when EVERY other one has been exhausted. Despite that WWII was about usurping an evil leader, Hitler, from conquering Europe and for death camps...My point? We don't fight chaos, by creating more chaos. It is why war to create peace is an oxymoron. We cannot claim to be the moral majority by engaging in the same "inhumane" actions as the "other" we have constructed. In order to create freedom, we must allow others to make a free choice; we have not given that choice to Iraqi citizens. We may have just replaced one oppressive government with another."

Not to offend Francoise, but this is the scariest sentiment I run across, and what's worse, is it is a common one. To me this statement is trying to categorize the War in Iraqi as a political one.
Me personally, I don't look at it politically. If you look at it politically then you fail to ever address the issue. Looking at something with "political" looking eyes means you are applying your own Nations concepts and imposing them onto another nation, regardless of the physical force being exerted, you’re imposing an idea. I'm sure the Iraqi's don't care about our politics, and I'm sure the complexity of why we did engage in such a war baffles not only the Iraqi people, but most Americans. There are many people that aren't happy with the choice that America made, but to ask why, we'd get a political answer with a moral proposition.


I'm entirely sure, that if we ignored 9/11 and DID NOT enter into Iraqi, that the rest of the world (albeit slower to the fray) would have inevitably engaged in a war on terrorism. Too many people look to blame the U.S. government, or Bush, or his cabinet, or sloppy lazy American's greed of oil, etc. But many of these same people say there is "no" excuse for war, yet they are able to make an excuse not to have war. What is a fact is that the U.S. DID NOT want to engage in WWII. Not to pick on Francoise, but she stated we engaged because Hitler was an evil tyrant threatening to conquer the world, and so I wonder what she thinks Terrorism is? Yet on December 7th, 1945 an act of terror led us to engage in WWII. By one act of terror the world was flung into war, does this strike anyone as reminiscent of the World Trade Centers bombing?

My question would be, do you really think it mattered if Bush did or didn't get funding to fight, or that the U.S. may or may not have finished its inspections finding any weapons of mass destruction at all? If the U.S. did not take the stance to engage terrorism, then the rest of the world would have eventually done so. Time was the only factor. People aren't mad because it happened, they're mad because it didn't happen on "their terms". Play chess, or read the "Art of War" by Sung Tsu, and I think you would agree that this war would have been waged regardless of political agenda. Your question lies within the parameter of whether or not America's political agenda propelled the inevitability of such a war.

Yet Terrorism is not a direct evil which can just be amputated from the world, or wiped off the face of the earth. It is not another Hitler, but rather a cancerous outbreak or growth. It seeps slowly into the body of the planet, slowly infecting parts of everyplace innocent, pure, and untainted; and these patches of toxic fear build up to the point where the entire body collapses in on itself. I've seen real cancer slowly eat away at my Grandfather until his death, and I see the world experiencing the same symptoms with Terrorism.

If God and all mighty heaven went to war to ensure peace, I think we would be arrogant in making assumptions like,

"We don't fight chaos, by creating more chaos. It is why war to create peace is an oxymoron. We cannot claim to be the moral majority by engaging in the same "inhumane" actions as the "other" we have constructed. In order to create freedom, we must allow others to make a free choice; we have not given that choice to Iraqi citizens. "

Chaos is a natural constant, the Universe was forged from it, and God threw it into the destructive wind of Nature. Man too is Chaotic by natural instinct of survival and to dominate his environment. Add this to evil, greed, corruption, and we're not talking about political ethics, we're talking about a cancer that threatens to destroy everything. WAR doesn't bring chaos when such is already the state of things.

War is not evil when it is fought for justice, freedom, and as Mandy so clearly stated, "-Our business is their business because peace and harmony and the love of God should be granted to all people". We can't measure Chaos; we can't fill it up in a glass beaker and say it is such and such percentage too much over the maximum amount of chaos. It exists, and quite plainly, talking won't solve the problem. In order to create freedom, we must allow others' to make a free choice? Isn't this how the War in Heaven began? A War to end evil and chaos.

No comments: