Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Hans on Cluckers Gobble-de'gook in the forest of Pigs!

Hans My Hedgehog


'Click above to enlarge image.'


Here are my Children’s Lit. (Eng 304) NOTES for 10/5/04.

As you can tell, I was extremely productive. Seriously though, if a picture speaks a thousand words, then I took the best notes of anybody in class! Haha.

I am a strong proponent of visual story telling as a medium of language. I don't think we've digressed into a dumb state of neanderthal wall drawings, but like such forms of communication and expression as the cave paintings, tapestries, and hand signs they are all a form of visual language. I think in this digital era of 3-D 'realism', the visual language has become as realistic as the worded language -in the sense that anything can be expressed in both realistc terms, and in fantastical terms too. Words are just being replaced by polygons, people are seeing more cinema, video games are raging, and even though our spoken language fluctuates on the knowledge that words provide, the visual language has always been with us, and is the first common language of man. Point and draw a stick figure in the dirt, maybe grunt a bit, yet the fact remains that there was no language spoken or written before the power of the image. Perhaps we have gone in full circle, and people are getting dumber because they are watching too much television and aren't reading or studying their texts as well as traditionally excersized, but I believe that the visual language combined with the written is the most efficient and newest form of language. Thus my interest in Graphic novels and the comic book. By combining the two, the posibilities are endless!

However, I don't really know what I'm talking about, but this guy does:
http://www.emaki.net/

Neil Cohn is the leading theorist in visual language today. He focuses on how the brain recognizes symbols and processes patterns to form a visual memory that becomes our most common (and perhaps most advanced) form of communication, but don't take my word for it. Read about it. Reading Rainbow!

1 comment:

Slade said...

almost looks like the cover for a Harry Potter book! neat!