Monday, September 20, 2004

Painfully Grussome (Eng. 300)

Dr. Sexson offered the question, "What have you seen in art that is painful, gruesome, and disturbing to see/behold, yet you can't take your eyes off it?"

The answer is simple: Monica Bellucci.

Monica Bellucci



Now that I have your curiosity, as you all are puzzled as to why I chose this Italian actress, someone so beautiful to the eyes, and also considered one of the finest models ever to grace a magazine cover... and you wonder why she is so painful for me? What goes on in this woven mind is a mystery, but I will divulge.

I first saw Monica Bellucci in the award winning film "Malena". It was a charming film about this Italian woman who was so beautiful that the entire town became obsessed with her. Through the eyes of a teenage boy coming to terms with his pubescent fantasies of Malena (Bellucci), a fully bloomed and busting woman, having sex with him. As he follows her around town, through the child’s eyes we see the good and dark sides of this small Italian community, but when Malena is accused of being a whore, the village women gang up, surround, and mutilate Malena. The jealous women filled with the rage of gossip -stone, beat, scalp, cut the breast off, gorge the face of, and break Malena's body until she is a crippled pile of rotting flesh. Seen as a hideous beast, the mayor gives Malena a one way train ticket out of town, to rid his community of this horendous disgrace. The sad thing is, Malena was innocent and but unrivalled beauty was her only sin.

That was the good film of Monica Bellucci's, at least the one I could stomach. Even as it showed the mutilation in horrific detail, I was still drawn to witness the act, because I couldn't take my eyes off of her beauty, and be saddened by the loss of it. The next time I would see Bellucci would be as the character PERSEPHONE in the "Matrix Reloaded". She was dark and powerful, and I longed to see more of her, in a way you could say I was 'drawn to the dark side'. So I went out and rented the entire Monica Bellucci Collection, and I will forever regret it.

Within the collection was the most cruel and gruesome film I have ever seen. It was such a horrible film that I vomited twice after seeing it. It made me so sick to my stomach that I felt ill, and the feeling lingered the next day as images from the film would randomly flash through my mind. Purging the movie "Irreversible" from my mind was not easy task. However, I watched it through and through because I wanted to know the outcome of Monica Bellucci's character. She was violently raped in this movie, and the rest of the film made "Malena" look like a walk in the park.

Sure, she has other films just as bizarre, if not more so. In the French film "Brotherhood of the Wolf" she plays a mystical whore, and has more sinful sex. Returning to the Italian film "Ultimo capodanno, L' (1998) .... Giulia" ... aka Humanity's Last New Year's Eve, well... I really don't know what it was about but Monica Bellucci gets naked. Yet again, and yet again I am entranced. Even though I occasionally feel guilty, there is part of me that just can't turn my eyes away. Perhaps I will someday be vexed for my sinful stares, but if only I could be but a tree. Goddesses are cruel that way.

Recently she made a movie called "Tears of the Sun", co-starring Bruce Willis, or is it the other way around? Anyway, the subject matter was so heart-breaking, that you can't help but feel helplessly lost at the end of the movie.

And if Monica Bellucci's trade mark of "baring it all" on screen wasn't enough, the best casting choice I have ever witnessed was by Director Mel Gibson, when he cast her as the whore, Mary Magdalene in his movie "The Passion of Christ".

It seems no matter how hard I try, Monica Bellucci draws me into her dark artwork as an actress, and her beauty as a woman. And the woman seriously terrifies me, but I can't stop looking at her.

2 comments:

a soul deranged said...

She is a beautiful woman. Wonderful Actress. she amazes me in her talents and her looks.

Tristan Vick said...

Yep, she's pretty and she's amazing. She's pretty amazing huh?