Sunday, September 05, 2004

"Klaatu barada nikto"

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."
---Salman Rushdie

"Now more than ever before, the people are responsible for the character of their Congress. If that body be ignorant, reckless and corrupt, it is because the people tolerate ignorance, recklessness and corruption. If it be intelligent, brave and pure, it is because the people demand these high qualities to represent them in the national legislature...If the next centennial does not find us a great nation... it will be because those who represent the enterprise, the culture, and the morality of the nation do not aid in controlling the political forces."
--James Abram Garfield
"A Century of Congress," Atlantic, July 1877.


"How do I know what I think until I see what I say?"
--E.M. Forester

Bender- Guys! You'll never believe what happened. First, I was God... then I met God!

Fry- We climbed a mountain and locked up some monks!
Futurama
(Episode 20: Godfellas)

Fry- It’s just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year the long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter. While the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, the grasshopper died. The octopus ate all of his acorns and also he got a racecar! Is any of this getting through to you?

[Praying heavenward]
Homer Simpson- I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me Superman!

Homer's Laywer- You sir, are a moron!

Homer Simpson- I am not a Mormon! I'm from Earth!

"It's not just about putting on the red suit and getting all the super-powers. It's also about helping people!"
--Eric Mathews (As Santa in the mall) BOY MEETS WORLD

"I will set down a tale. . . it may be history, it may only be a legend, a
tradition. It may have happened, it may not have happened. But it could
have happened."
--Mark Twain

"Maturity does not mean to become a captive of conceptualization. It is the realization of what lies in our innermost selves."
--Bruce Lee

"In order to grow a salad you must first find an egg."
--Tristan Vick

"I was at church Easter Sunday, and the minister was talking about the mystery of faith, and how easy it is to doubt what you can't prove, and how none of us saw the miracle at the Lord's tomb that day, all we had to do was to believe in it hard enough, and it would be true. And that's what faith was. He said that we can't be weak, that we can't dismiss the miracle, that we have to be strong enough to make mysteries real."
--Maddie, Millennium

"Everybody was a baby once, Arthur. Oh, sure, maybe not today, or even yesterday. But once! Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope! And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!"
--The TICK

"It seems as though the adversary was aware, at a very early period of my life, that I was destined to prove a disturber and an annoyer of his kingdom; else why should the powers of darkness combine against me?"
--Joseph Smith

"It's an odd thing, Mr. Ireton. Every man who wages war believes God is on his side. I'll warrant God should often wonder who is on his."
--Oliver Cromwell (Cromwell, 1970.)

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them."
--Mother Theresa

"Nothing is real if you don't believe in who you are."
--Rocky Balboa

Josie McCoy- If I could go back in time I'd take back everything I said!

Melody Valentine- If I could go back in time, I'd meet Snoopy.
From Josie and the Pussycats (2001)

Homer Simpson- You sunk my scrabble ship!

Lisa Simpson- This game makes no sense!

Homer- Tell that to the good men that just lost their lives!

"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken."
--Tyler Durden (Fight Club)

Cry in the Dojo, and laugh on the battlefield.
--Ancient Samurai Proverb

"When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be disappointed to discover they are not it."
--Bernard Bailey

"I firmly believe that I don't believe in half of what I say, and if anyone else does then I can always deny having said it."
--Tristan Vick

"When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge."
-- Albert Einstein

No comments: