Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Desert Island Question: Critical Theory (ENG 300)

More Questions from ENG 300.

Professor Sexson asks:

Q: What is the "Canon"?

Well, according to "A Handbook to Lieterature" eight edition (p.77), by Harmon and Holman, the Canon is: In a figurative sense, a standard of judgment; a criterion. Canon is applied to the authorized or accepted list of books belonging in the Christian Bible by virtue of having been declared to be divinely inspired.

Canon is also the name of a Camera!




More recently, the idea of general literary canon is interpreted as a work made by society that becomes central, and thus reducing others to trivial status outside the canon. Such as something less traditional, or at least something less traditionally accepted. Yet once the work reaches its canonical state, there is no going back, mainly due to society not accepting change. Once societies belief is bonded to the concept of the work, then change would ultimately be painful for everyone involved, thus something which is canonized may never go back to a previous state or be altered any further. The canon then becomes a reflection of the society and mind of that work.

I believe, that the canon is just a tool to catorgorize something that society deams as something with "mainstream acceptance with a bit of history". In the case of film and cinema, George Lucas' film triology STAR WARS is the golden standard in the movie world, much as the Bible is in the religious world. This doesn't mean that it won't change, or that others can't be added to the canon, but for the immediate needs and beliefs of society now, the canon is thusly determined.

This is how I understand it.

Q: What is the most important thing in the world?

My first reaction would be to say "ME, of course!". This entirely makes sense since I am the one who exists. Without the "me" or the "self" there could be no stories, nor could there be someone to listen to the stories told by "me". Without the "me", there would be no question, and no answer to this riddle. However, I know all fully well, that I am indeed NOT the most important thing in the world. The most important thing in the world would be called the "GIFT" or "Touchstone". It is the gift, perhaps of life, or perhaps of all things given unto man by God. Something greater than the "me", whether it be intelligent design or almighty beings, has given us the "GIFT" of so many things. The gift of song, the gift of life, the gift of companionship, the gift of hearing, the gift of emotions that can enjoy such splendid delight of music, and allow our spirits to soar high in the skys along with the beautiful winged ones. This is perhaps, the answer, to that question what is important.

However, if I was asked a slightly different question, "What is important to you?", then my answer would be both simple and meaningful. SAYAKA, the fulfillment of love which embodies my heart, mind, and soul. Sayaka is the most important thing in the world to me, and because she is also my greatest friend -we are able to share the "GIFT" together.

Q: Why is the poem "Keywest" so important as a text?

Because it is something more than it is. It is a work of art that reminds us of simplistic beauty, the beauty and love of creation. The creation by the artist, and the creation of the known Universe, and all of the wonders within, which fill us with awe and send us gleefully into a spiritual whirl of emotions. For the Known universe has one complete love and that is the greatest poet.

Q: If you were stranded on a desert island, a qudrillion miles away from home, what one thing would you bring with you?

If I was a learned man, my answer would be a book. Which book? The Odyssey. I chose this title of all others, because it is a story about a journey. It is also a love story, and an epic ballad that would comfort my own weary soul, and console me to deeper understanding of exactly why Posiedon has doomed me to a deserted island, alone. However, because I pride wisdom above knowledge itself (and I do believe one can exist without the other), I would definately bring bug spray.


Off Bug Spray, for killing those pesky little critters when you're stranded on a desert island.


On the other-hand, I could bring along my lovely Sayaka for company. We could share our "stories" with one another, and swat the bugs off of each other's backs. If I could have one thing on my island of solitude, Sayaka is whom I'd bring. Where as I would have eaten the book long ago, Sayaka and I would take turns fishing, so that the other may rest. Really, this is the most logical answer, albeit unpoetic. Well, in a certain since it is unpoetic, but in another -since when has love been unpoetic? Also, I despise loathsome bordom and lonliness, so Sayaka would keep me sane, at the very least. Or else, we both could go insane, wear coconuts and grass skirts, and paint our faces like wild savages then dance ourselves silly under the brilliant tropical sun. I would also do funny things with a bananna, and make a dolphin laugh. Oh what crazy fun! Hoo-hoo-haHa-heheheeeee!


No comments: