Thursday, September 02, 2004

Children's and Young Adult Lit.

Let's get down to the answers. In response to the questions and topics from Children's Lit. (English 304), taught by Dr. Sexson.

Q: What is your favorite Children's story? The one which you begged your parents to read again and again.

Well, whether or not I begged my mom is an entirely different matter, but I do remember her reading to my younger brother and me often. Of the texts that somehow linger in my mind, and have stayed alive all these years, the first of the stories that shaped and molded the mind I am today, would be the fantastic stories of "The Chronicles of Narnia", by C.S. Lewis, and also "A Wrinkle in Time", by Madeline L'Engle.

This probably explains why I love Star Trek so much. Well, science fiction in general is a love of mine. After I read "War of the Worlds" by H.G. Wells, I was taken back to that time when I was sitting next to my brother on my moms bed, and we were listening to the Wrinkle in Time stories. I can recall an erie feeling, that something apocalyptic was about to happen. Needless to say, my mom tucked me in tight, and too afraid to sleep I held my eyes wide open staring at the popcorn textured ceiling forming pictures with my imagination, at least until I past out with exhaustion or until my imagination lead me into slumbering silent dreams. I had many nightmares those several weeks that my mom read us those texts, but it was worth it. ...I think.

No comments: